Friday, August 19, 2016

Drops...

A bunch of drops creates a splash, a bunch of splashes creates a wave, a bunch of waves creates a tide, a bunch of tides can flood the earth...


I want you to take a second and really look at this picture. You may have seen this recently in the news. This is Omran, a 5 year old Syrian boy who was recently rescued from a bomb that hit his home in Aleppo Syria.

I find myself staring at this picture until my eyes well up and it becomes blurry. I ask myself so many questions to which I have no answer. Why am I crying but this boy is not, isn't he the one who is wounded? Why does he have to be a victim of war and not me? What if this were my son? What would my response be? Would I feel any different?

I want to ask God why He allows this to happen, but He'd probably just ask me the same question...

So, I struggle because I'm just one person, in the most privileged country in history. I used to be able to ignore this stuff; pretend like it doesn't exist. But that all changed when I went to Africa last year and played with 77 orphans. They have names, faces, laughs, tears, and hugs. They're not just TV commercials, they are Omran... They're fearfully and wonderfully made in His image (Psalm 139:14).

I'm not okay with this picture... But what can I do?

I thank God this young boy is alive because there are thousands more in his country that are not. There's work to be done, and it starts in our own communities and extends to the ends of the earth.

I'm not asking you to change the entire world by yourself. I know I can't... But I can be a drop to someone... And you can be a drop to someone, somewhere; because if we all can just do one thing, a bunch of "one-things", then we'll make a splash. And if we keep making splashes, waves will follow. And if we can generate enough waves, the tide will roll in and flood the earth with God's love!

My prayer for us all: "Father, help us to see people like you do..."

"The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'" Matthew 25:40


No comments:

Post a Comment